메뉴 건너뛰기

손창연 논리영어

일반 I have a dream

admin 2008.11.07 11:29 read.75807 vote.49

■마틴 루터킹의 군중 집회연설(1963.8.28)

▶“I Have A Dream”

I am happy to join with you today in what will go down in history as the greatest demonstration for freedom in the history of our nation.

Five score years ago, a great American, in whose symbolic shadow we stand today, signed the Emancipation Proclamation. This momentous decree came as a great beacon light of hope to millions of Negro slaves who had been seared in the flames of withering injustice. It came as a joyous daybreak to end the long night of their captivity.

But one hundred years later, the Negro still is not free. One hundred years later, the life of the Negro is still sadly crippled by the manacles of segregation and the chains of discrimination. One hundred years later, the Negro lives on a lonely island of poverty in the midst of a vast ocean of material prosperity.

One hundred years later, the Negro is still languished in the corners of American society and finds himself an exile in his own land. And so we've come here today to dramatize a shameful condition.

In a sense we've come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the "unalienable Rights" of "Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note, insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked "insufficient funds."

But we refuse to believe that the bank of justice is bankrupt. We refuse to believe that there are insufficient funds in the great vaults of opportunity of this nation. And so, we've come to cash this check, a check that will give us upon demand the riches of freedom and the security of justice.

We have also come to this hallowed spot to remind America of the fierce urgency of Now. This is no time to engage in the luxury of cooling off or to take the tranquilizing drug of gradualism. Now is the time to make real the promises of democracy.

Now is the time to rise from the dark and desolate valley of segregation to the sunlit path of racial justice. Now is the time to lift our nation from the quicksands of racial injustice to the solid rock of brotherhood. Now is the time to make justice a reality for all of God's children.

It would be fatal for the nation to overlook the urgency of the moment. This sweltering summer of the Negro's legitimate discontent will not pass until there is an invigorating autumn of freedom and equality. Nineteen sixty-three is not an end, but a beginning.

And those who hope that the Negro needed to blow off steam and will now be content will have a rude awakening if the nation returns to business as usual. And there will be neither rest nor tranquility in America until the Negro is granted his citizenship rights. The whirlwinds of revolt will continue to shake the foundations of our nation until the bright day of justice emerges.

But there is something that I must say to my people, who stand on the warm threshold which leads into the palace of justice: In the process of gaining our rightful place, we must not be guilty of wrongful deeds. Let us not seek to satisfy our thirst for freedom by drinking from the cup of bitterness and hatred.

We must forever conduct our struggle on the high plane of dignity and discipline. We must not allow our creative protest to degenerate into physical violence. Again and again, we must rise to the majestic heights of meeting physical force with soul force.

The marvelous new militancy which has engulfed the Negro community must not lead us to a distrust of all white people, for many of our white brothers, as evidenced by their presence here today, have come to realize that their destiny is tied up with our destiny. And they have come to realize that their freedom is inextricably bound to our freedom.

We cannot walk alone.

And as we walk, we must make the pledge that we shall always march ahead.

We cannot turn back.

There are those who are asking the devotees of civil rights, "When will you be satisfied?" We can never be satisfied as long as the Negro is the victim of the unspeakable horrors of police brutality. We can never be satisfied as long as our bodies, heavy with the fatigue of travel, cannot gain lodging in the motels of the highways and the hotels of the cities.

We cannot be satisfied as long as the negro's basic mobility is from a smaller ghetto to a larger one. We can never be satisfied as long as our children are stripped of their self-hood and robbed of their dignity by a sign stating: "For Whites Only." We cannot be satisfied as long as a Negro in Mississippi cannot vote and a Negro in New York believes he has nothing for which to vote. No, no, we are not satisfied, and we will not be satisfied until "justice rolls down like waters, and righteousness like a mighty stream."

I am not unmindful that some of you have come here out of great trials and tribulations. Some of you have come fresh from narrow jail cells. And some of you have come from areas where your quest -- quest for freedom left you battered by the storms of persecution and staggered by the winds of police brutality.

You have been the veterans of creative suffering. Continue to work with the faith that unearned suffering is redemptive. Go back to Mississippi, go back to Alabama, go back to South Carolina, go back to Georgia, go back to Louisiana, go back to the slums and ghettos of our northern cities, knowing that somehow this situation can and will be changed.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.

And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.

I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."

I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia, the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood.

I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice.

I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day, down in Alabama, with its vicious racists, with its governor having his lips dripping with the words of "interposition" and "nullification" -- one day right there in Alabama little black boys and black girls will be able to join hands with little white boys and white girls as sisters and brothers.

I have a dream today!

I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Lord shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

This is our hope, and this is the faith that I go back to the South with.

With this faith, we will be able to hew out of the mountain of despair a stone of hope. With this faith, we will be able to transform the jangling discords of our nation into a beautiful symphony of brotherhood. With this faith, we will be able to work together, to pray together, to struggle together, to go to jail together, to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day.

And this will be the day -- this will be the day when all of God's children will be able to sing with new meaning:

My country 'tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing.

Land where my fathers died, land of the Pilgrim's pride,

From every mountainside, let freedom ring!

And if America is to be a great nation, this must become true.

And so let freedom ring from the prodigious hilltops of New Hampshire.

Let freedom ring from the mighty mountains of New York.

Let freedom ring from the heightening Alleghenies of Pennsylvania.

Let freedom ring from the snow-capped Rockies of Colorado.

Let freedom ring from the curvaceous slopes of California.

But not only that:

Let freedom ring from Stone Mountain of Georgia.

Let freedom ring from Lookout Mountain of Tennessee.

Let freedom ring from every hill and molehill of Mississippi.

From every mountainside, let freedom ring.

And when this happens, when we allow freedom ring, when we let it ring from every village and every hamlet, from every state and every city, we will be able to speed up that day when all of God's children, black men and white men, Jews and Gentiles, Protestants and Catholics, will be able to join hands and sing in the words of the old Negro spiritual:

Free at last! Free at last!

Thank God Almighty, we are free at last!³

▶“나는 꿈을 꿉니다”

나는 우리나라 역사상, 자유를 위한 가장 중요한 집회로 역사에 기록될 오늘 이 자리에 여러분과 함께하게 된 것을 기쁘게 생각합니다.

다섯 세대 이전인, 백년 전, 오늘 우리가 있는 곳에 그림자를 드리운 동상으로 남은, 한 위대한 미국인(애이브러햄 링컨)이 노예해방선언을 승인했습니다. 이 중대한 법령은 압도적인 부당함의 화염 속에 던져진 수백만의 흑인 노예에게 거대한 희망의 횃불 되었습니다. 이는 흑인이 지낸 속박의 긴 밤을 끝내는 기쁨의 여명이었습니다.

그러나 백년이 지났지만, 흑인들은 아직도 자유롭지 못합니다. 백년이 지났지만, 흑인들의 삶은 인종차별의 족쇄와 인종분리의 속박으로 인한 비참한 불구상태입니다. 백년이 지났지만, 흑인은 물질적 풍요의 드넓은 대양 한가운데 빈곤의 외로운 섬에 살고 있습니다. 백년이 지났지만, 흑인은 아직도 자신의 땅에서 추방된 그 자신을 찾으며 미국사회의 구석에서 번민하고 있습니다. 그리고 이처럼 치욕스러운 상태를 극적으로 보여주고자 오늘 이곳에 왔습니다.

한편, 우리는 국가에서 받은 자산을 수표에서 현찰로 바꾸려고 합니다. 우리 공화국(미국)의 설립자들이 헌법과 독립선언서에 장엄한 약속을 기록했고, 그들은 그 후손인 모든 미국인에게 약속어음을 발행해 준 것과 같습니다.

이 어음은 백인뿐만 아니라 흑인, 그렇습니다, 모든 사람에게 “생존권, 자유, 행복추구권”의 “양도할 수 없는 권리(천부인권)”이 보장되어야 함을 약속하고 있습니다. 미국은 유색인종 시민들이 염려하고 있는 이 약속어음의 채무를 불이행하고 있음이 지금도 명백합니다. 이 신성한 약속어음의 지급 대신에, 미국은 흑인 시민들에게 “잔고 부족”도장이 찍힌 부도수표를 주었습니다.

그러나 우리는 정의의 은행이 파산할 것이라 여기는 것을 용인할 수 없습니다. 우리는 미국이 가진 기회의 거대한 금고에 잔고가 부족하다는 것으로 여겨지는 것을 용인할 수 없습니다(잔고가 있을 것이다). 그리고 이와 같이, 우리는 자유의 재산과 정의의 보장을 요구하는 이 수표를 현찰로 바꿀 것입니다.

우리는 또한 지금의 격심한 현안을 미국에 각성케 하고자 이 성스런 장소에 모였습니다. 지금은 이성적 대화라는 사치스런 약속을 하거나, 점진주의라는 안정제를 먹고 있을 때가 아닙니다. 지금은 민주주의라는 약속을 실현하는 그 때입니다. 지금은 인종차별의 어둡고 황폐한 계곡에서 인종평등의 양지바른 길로 올라서는 그 때입니다. 지금은 우리 국가를 인종차별의 모래지옥에서 형제애의 견고한 반석 위로 끌어올리는 그 때입니다. 지금은 모든 신의 자녀를 위한 정의가 실재하게 하는 그 때인 것입니다.

국가가 이 순간의 절박함을 간과한다면 치명적인 결과가 일어날 것입니다. 흑인의 정당한 불만으로 찌는 듯한 여름은 자유와 평등의 상쾌한 가을이 올 때까지 끝나지 않을 것입니다.

1963년은 끝이 아니라, 시작에 불과합니다. 그리고, 흑인은 분노의 열기를 터트리고 당장 국가가 다른 통상적인 사안에 대응하는 것처럼 아주 조금의 관심이라도 보여주기를 요구합니다. 미국이 흑인에게 시민권을 부여하기 전까지는 휴식도 평안도 없을 것입니다. 폭동의 회오리는, 정의실현의 밝은 날이 와서, 우리 국가의 기초를 뒤흔들 때까지 계속될 것입니다.

하지만, 나는, 정의의 궁전으로 이끄는 격렬한 출발점에 서 있는 여러분께 반드시 말씀드릴 것이 있습니다. 우리의 정당한 지위를 획득하는 과정에서, 우리는 불법행위를 해서는 안 됩니다. 우리는 고통과 증오의 잔을 들이켜서 자유를 향한 우리의 갈증을 충족하려 애써서는 안 됩니다. 우리는 품위와 규율이 있는 격조 높은 투쟁을 지속해야합니다.

우리는 우리의 건설적인 항변이 물리적인 폭력으로 퇴보하도록 방치해서는 안됩니다. 다시 한 번 거듭해서 강조하건데, 우리는 정신적 힘과 육체적 힘이 융합된 위엄 있는 고차원적 수준으로 격을 높여야 합니다.

지금 흑인 사회를 둘러싸고 있는 신비할 정도의 투지가 모든 백인들에 대한 불신으로 이어지면 안 됩니다. 왜냐하면 그들 중 많은 사람들이 여기에 참석해 그들의 운명은 우리의 운명과 불가분의 관계에 있다는 걸 깨닫게 해 주었기 때문입니다. 그리고 그들은 그들의 자유가 우리의 자유와 불가분의 관계에 있다는 걸 깨닫게 됐습니다.

우리는 혼자 걸어갈 수 없습니다.

그리고, 우리는 계속 앞으로 행진을 하려는 맹세를 완수하고자 우리는 걷고 있는 것입니다.

우리는 되돌아 갈 수 없습니다.

어떤 사람들은 “당신들은 도대체 언제 납득할 겁니까?”라고, 시민권익 옹호자들에게 묻습니다. 우리는 흑인이 경찰의 야만적 행위의 이루 말할 수 없는 공포로 제물이 되는 한, 결코 납득하지 못합니다.

우리는, 여행의 피로로 무거운 우리의 몸을, 도시의 호텔들과 고속도로의 모텔에 투숙하지 못 하는 한, 결코 납득하지 못합니다. 우리는 흑인의 이주가 근본적으로 작은 빈민가에서 큰 빈민가로 한정되는 한, 결코 납득하지 못합니다. 우리는 흑인 아이들이 “백인전용”이라는 표지판 때문에 그들의 존엄성이 빼앗기고, 그들의 인격이 무시당하는 한, 결코 납득하지 못합니다.

우리는 미시시피의 흑인이 투표하지 못하고 뉴욕의 흑인이 그가 투표권이 없다고 믿는 한, 결코 납득하지 못합니다. 아니오, 아니오, 우리는 납득 못합니다, 그리고 우리가 “정의가 물처럼 흘러내리고, 공정함이 거대한 물줄기를 이루리라”라는 성경구절과 같아질 때 까지, 납득할 수 없을 겁니다.

나는 여러분 중에 몇 명이 거대한 시련와 고난을 벗어나 있다고 방관하고 있지 않을 겁니다. 여러분 중에 몇 명은 좁은 감방에서 방금 나왔을 겁니다. 그리고 여러분 중에 몇 명은 자유의 추구로 당신이 경찰의 야만적 폭행이 만연으로 부상당하고, 박해의 폭풍으로 몰매를 맞는 것을 탈피하고자하는 지역에서 오셨을 겁니다.

여러분은 이 건설적인 고통을 견뎌낸 용사입니다. 고통이 수반되지 않는 신념을 가지고, 그냥 하던 일을 계속하고자 한다면 죄송스러운 말씀이지만. 미시시피로 돌아가십시오, 앨라배마로 돌아가십시오, 사우스 캐롤라이나로 돌아가십시오, 조지아로 돌아가십시오, 루이지애나로 돌아가십시오, 북부 도시의 빈민가과 빈민촌으로 돌아가십시오, 어떻게든 이러한 입장은 바뀔 것이고, 바뀌어야 합니다.

우리를 절망의 골짜기에 뒹굴게 놔둬서는 안 된다는 것을, 지금 나의 동지여러분께 말씀드립니다.

그리고, 그래서 우리가 현재와 미래에 곤경에 직면하게 될지라도, 나는 여전히 꿈을 꿀 것입니다. 이는 미국의 이상(American dream)에 철저하게 근거한 것입니다.

나는 꿈을 꿉니다. 이 나라에서“우리는 모든 인간은 평등하게 창조되었다, 라는 이러한 진리를 분명히 신봉한다.”라는 신념의 진정한 의미가 확인되고 실현되는 어떤 날의 꿈입니다.

나는 꿈을 꿉니다. 조지아 주의 붉게 물든 언덕에서, 노예였던 사람의 후손들과 노예를 소유했던 사람의 후손들이 형제애의 원탁에 함께 둘러앉는 어떤 날의 꿈입니다.

나는 꿈을 꿉니다. 탄압의 열기와 불의의 열기로 허덕이는, 미시시피 주조차도 자유와 정의의 오아시스로 바뀌게 되는 어떤 날의 꿈입니다.

나는 꿈을 꿉니다. 제 네 명의 자식들이 이 나라에서 살아가는 동안, 이들이 피부색이 아니고 인격의 본질로 판단되어지는 어떤 날의 꿈입니다.

나는 오늘 꿈을 꿉니다!

나는 꿈을 꿉니다. 주지사가 “거부권”과 “중재권”이란 단어를 입에서 내뱉고, 악독한 인종차별주의자들이 활보하는, 앨라배마의 번화가에서, 형제와 자매처럼 흑인 아이들이 백인 아이들과 함께 손을 맞잡고 노는 어떤 날의 꿈입니다.

나는 오늘 꿈을 꿉니다!

나는 꿈을 꿉니다. 모든 골짜기가 솟아오르고, 모든 산과 언덕이 낮아지고, 험한 땅이 평지가 되고, 비뚤어진 자리가 곧게 펴지게 되는, “마침내 주님의 영광이 발현되고 모든 피조물이 모두 그것을 알게 되리라”라는 말씀처럼 되는 어떤 날의 꿈입니다.

이것이 우리의 희망입니다. 또한 이것이 제가 남부로 함께 가지고 돌아갈 신념입니다.

이러한 신념으로, 우리는 희망의 조약돌로 절망의 산을 갈라뜨릴 수 있을 것입니다. 이러한 신념으로, 우리 나라의 귀에 거슬리는 불협화음을 형제애의 아름다운 교향곡으로 바꿀 수 있습니다. 이러한 신념으로, 우리는 함께 일하고, 함께 기도하고, 함께 투쟁하고, 함께 투옥되고, 함께 자유를 지켜 나가고, 우리가 자유를 얻는 어떤 날을 알게 될 것입니다.

그리고 이로 인해 그 날이 올 겁입니다. 모든 신의 자녀들이 새로운 뜻을 노래할 수 있는 그날 말입니다.

내 조국은 그대에게 자유의 낙원, 내 조국을 그대에게 노래합니다.

내 아버지가 묻힌 땅, 이민자(선조)의 자랑스러운 땅

모든 산허리에서, 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

그리고, 이것이 실현되야지만, 미국이 위대한 국가가 될 것입니다.

그리고 마침내 뉴 햄프셔의 거대한 산마루에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

뉴욕의 거대한 산맥에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

펜실베니아의 불뚝 솟은 알레게이니 산맥에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

콜로라도의 눈 덮힌 록키산맥에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다

캘리포니아의 구불구불한 산등성이에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

뿐만 아니라

조지아의 석산에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

테네시의 산 능선에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

미시시피의 모든 언덕과 둑에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

모든 산허리에서 자유의 종이 울리게 합시다.

그리고, 이런 일이 일어나면, 우리가 모든 주와 모든 도시, 시골마을 방방곡곡에서 자유의 종이 울리게 할 때, 개신교와 천주교도, 기독교인과 유대인, 백인과 흑인, 이 모든 신의 자녀들이 손을 잡고 정겨운 흑인영가를 부르는 것이 실현되는 그 날이 앞당겨 질 것입니다.

마침내 자유의 그날이 올 것입니다! 자유의 그날이!

전지전능한 신의 은혜로, 우리는 마침내 자유의 그날을 맞이하게 될 것입니다.

공지 맹목적 단어암기는 뇌학대!! 서울대 의대, 생과부 학생들이 그림 그림을 보면서 감상하고 이해하고 추론하라!! 손창연 2024.03.04 2378
86 손창연 논리영어에는 단어암기도 왕도가 있다.(There is a royal road in memorizing words. ) admin 2020.04.30 3956
85 초등 4학년 영문법? admin 2019.12.21 1131
84 숙명여중 3학년 지난 기말 영어내신 admin 2019.08.15 1399
83 단대부중 1학년 기말고사 평균 73점 - 어휘도 문법, 기본 품사 등 영어표현도 알아야! scy7469@naver.com 2019.07.18 2332
82 영어학습에 수학적 원리 활용! admin 2017.07.03 4086
81 수의와 관마저도 없이 멀리 가신 법정스님이 너무나 그립습니다. admin 2010.03.15 5638
80 윌리엄 워즈워드의 영시 두편 admin 2009.05.09 4361
79 냉장고엔 곰팡이, 세척대엔 죽은쥐 admin 2009.02.16 4599
78 Kim Yu-Na wins women's title at Four Continents figure skating admin 2009.02.10 4840
77 what, which admin 2009.02.07 4418
76 오바마 취임연설문 admin 2009.01.21 4816
75 <과학> 변화의 욕구는 뇌 연결구조에 달려 admin 2008.12.02 4578
74 역사교과서 논쟁! admin 2008.11.20 4720
73 2025년 통일? admin 2008.11.19 4833
72 뉴욕타임즈 사설 admin 2008.11.19 4512
71 집중력을 길러라~ admin 2008.11.15 4649
70 2009년수능 admin 2008.11.13 4684
> I have a dream admin 2008.11.07 75807
68 Loser's consession speech 1 admin 2008.11.06 5713
67 'This is your victory' 1 admin 2008.11.05 8951
위로